Monday, March 5, 2012

Audra's Amazing Carrot Ginger Soup

The other day, I received an email from a friend back in California with a recipe for the perfect cold weather soup. At first, I laughed, because winter doesn't exist in LA my friend was probably writing to me from the beach... honestly, what does she know about chilly weather and the need for cozy comfort food?? But after reading the recipe over, I realized she was on to something and I absolutely had to make her Carrot Ginger Soup.

It was gingery and delicious and I don't think she'd mind if I shared it with you....





Audra's Amazing Carrot Ginger Soup

Ingredients:
8 cups chicken, or vegetable stock
2 pounds fresh carrots, peeled
3 leeks, sliced in half lengthwise and thoroughly cleaned
1 yam, peeled
4 stalks celery
4 tablespoons butter
1 (3 inch) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pint heavy cream (optional)

Directions:
In a large (HUGE) pot bring stock to a boil.

While stock is heating, chop all the veggies into small pieces (approx. 1/2 inch cubes)

In a large (again, HUGE) saute pan, over medium-high heat, melt half the butter. Saute the veggies with ginger and nutmeg for approximately 15 minutes, or until the veggies are browned. Add remaining butter as needed.

Add sauteed veggies to stock, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.

Let cool to room temperature, then puree in a blender. If you have an immersion blender, no need to wait for it to cool completely, blend away directly in the pot (***Audra's super handy trick: Thread the immersion blender through a paper plate, then blend. It keeps the splatters off the counters, and your favorite shirt... I didn't have a paper plate, and my favorite shirt now has orange polka dots***)
Add salt and pepper.

To serve, reheat, ladle into bowls, then drizzle one tablespoon of cream into each bowl.

Enjoy!

(a few little notes: I nixed the celery, mostly because I forgot to buy it, but also Audra noted that it didn't really add that much flavor to the final product. I upped the ginger and pepper, and substituted the cream for a light topping of spring onions)

Thanks, Audra! Miss you and that California sunshine... xo

No comments:

Post a Comment